Friday, October 1, 2010

Shirk my Work

 One day this week as I was sitting inside looking out the window of my office at blue sky, white clouds and a blustery breeze, and having heard that rainy weather was in the forecast right up to what would be a busy week end, I took Rabindranath Tagore's poem 'অজ ধােনর েক্কতে to heart, threw aside my pens and pent up indoor impediment and you can guess where I went.

Here's Tagore's poem:

Today in fields of rice
the shadows and the sunshine play
hide and seek today.
In skies of blue,
now who is it that floats these 
white cloud-boats this way?
Today the honey bee forgets to eat 
his harvest sweet;
he takes  to flight
a drunken journey to the light.

Today, why ever does the river wander? 
Watching here and there I wonder.
Oh delight! I'll not go home, my friend;
I'll not go home today.
Today, I'll break the skies asunder,
take from the great outdoors my plunder.
The foaming high tide waters pile. 
The breezes blow; today I smile.
I'll shirk my work, my flute I'll play
That is how to spend this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment