Saturday, April 16, 2011

A New Year Celebration

 April 14th brought in the Bengali New Year of 1418.  The city was bustling with joyful activity.  Thousands joined in the festivities at the river's edge or at Rajshahi University.  I was invited by a student to the university.  I arrived around noon and she had just finished cooking me a chicken curry  in her little dorm room over an electric hotplate.  After eating a delicious rice meal she put a 'teep' (red dot) on her forehead and mine,  changed into a lovely shalwire-kamiz,  did up her face with some eyeliner, face-whitening cream and lipstick,  and off we went to join the crowds.


  There were numerous concerts, plays, game booths,  and stalls that were selling a variety of foods and trinkets-and, of course,  the typical fair-type stuffed animals.   There were thousands of people there, all dressed in brightly colored (mostly red) festive clothes.  As a white foreigner ('bideshi')  in a city that has very few, we attract a lot of attention.

At one point we stopped to watch a game being played which was similar to the 'hit the pinata' except you were to hit a clay water pot on the ground.  There were only a couple people watching at first.  I was coaxed into participating so having blindfolded me they started me off about 15feet from the kulshi.  I began to walk,  estimating that it would take me ten steps.  It turns out that i walked right past it and with all my might I slammed the stick onto the empty ground. Oh well,  no prize for me but  I gave everyone, including myself,  a good laugh.  When I took off my blindfold I saw that the crowd of spectators had quickly grown to over 50.    The one tradition that I missed out on for the New Year was eating 'patha bhat'-  a fermented rice dish.  Oh well, there's always next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment