Monday, May 16, 2011

Bazaar Experience


The shopping list included
2 chickens
rui mach (fish)
gom (whole wheat)
eggplant
kormi shak (leafy vegetable that can be used as a salad base)
cucumbers, tomatoes (if available)
pumpkin
butter



 A Shaw’s or Hanaford (our grocery supermarkets in Maine) would be a welcome relief from the 90 degree heated bazaar here in our fair city, but they don't provide half the eduction.

 I went for the difficult ones first: the fish and chicken. Both were alive and well when I picked them out. The price includes free proccessing  which I felt I needed to witness. Rumor runs that there is a lot chick swapping in the bazaar and the one kilogram chicken you pick out could be exchanged for a ¾ kilogram chicken if you don’t keep your eye on her. I did. I picked out two and followed the gentleman to the special site where they are properly, though quickly, blessed, throats slit, thown in a barrel until things quiet down and then retrieved in red blood and in less than 40 seconds prepared to the finish.  I was impressed.
 My fish was also in swimming good health happily in fellowship with his brothers in a crowded tub. He, too, was prepared, not filleted as we would, but cut horizontally in pieces and the head is most certainly included as that portion goes to the honored guest at table.  (Come visit us!)
 There’s no point in me trying to describe the landscape of the bazaar. You’ll just have to come.  Wear old clothes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment