Saturday, September 15, 2012

From the Ganges to the Kennebec


We are back on the Maine Coast for a few weeks break. Sailing was at the top of the list of things to do.
When we were growing up, my father built a Friendship Sloop.

26 feet long, a classic Maine design, the Ellie T's  presence in Christmas Cove, Maine spoke heritage and history.



My parents sold the Ellie T when I was out of high school and Dad began plans for building a Cape Cod catboat in his retirement.
Again based on classic New England lines, this boat was 10 feet smaller than the Friendship but he took 11 more years than the Friendship to build it.









My mother, who was into painting in the style of Norwegian rosemaeling in those days, graced the cabin with her artwork.


So when we came home, getting the catboat- the Eleanore- into the water and out to sea, was a Maine priority.
 I've just come from two great days of sailing:

 My brother, who is captaining a 100 passenger cruise ship suggested that we meet for dinner in Boothbay one evening. As the day approached and it was clear that the weather was going to be great, so I opted to sail over to Boothbay from Christmas Cove with the plan to spend the night and then sail back the next day.


I headed out of the harbor under moderate winds, which meant it would be a several hours journey.











As I was getting out past Heron Island, the 'Independence' which my brother, Henry was skippering, rounded the end of Thrumcap Island.










 I stopped for lunch at Ram Island and ...











did a little snorkeling afterwards.














I got to Boothbay and found a mooring near the behemoth.
 Jan arrived by car and after we shopped a bit in Boothbay Harbor - a must for every tourist- Henry took us out for a great lobster dinner and for catching up on each other's lives.







 The next day, my good friend and doctor Mike joined me for the return trip to Christmas Cove.

If I don't manage another sail before returning to the Ganges, these two days filled my cup.

6 comments:

  1. Nice little trip to Boothbay! Wish I could have been along...and done some snorkeling with you. Nice looking lunch at Ram's Island! Very cool that you were able to connect up with your brother & his big boat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Wes! Next time it's you and me. Had a great time with my favorite parents in Squantum! Maybe we'll catch up on that side of the Ganges.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jesus, for giving John this awesomely perfect connection with the sea, sailing, and Henry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah right - those 2 days didn't really fill your cup :) Thorpe's will always have a sailboat-shaped hole in our souls and we'll squeeze in sails to the end of the autumn and till the day we die... thanks for passing on the heritage, Dad. And you've still got a few weeks of sailing ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to be part of this journal John!
    I will always remember in my heart the beautiful weekend almost 3 years ago with Rashad, you,& Jan, David & Jamilah:) I have that photo in my home:)
    I squeezed in a sail with some friends last November..............it was so raw but ever so fun!
    Praise God for HIS beauty through you!
    In Him,
    Lora Gurwala

    ReplyDelete